What’s that I hear?
A rousing chorus of too-excited waiters, bringing my sweet little blog a free piece of tiramisu for its first birthday? (I wish.) Crinkles and tears from the wrapping paper around all the gifts it received? (Again: I wish. The blog loves gift cards to J.Crew.) (And Starbucks.)
No, that’s just birds. And air-conditioning whirr. And Mr. Cat, snoozing on our his fancy red quilt. Perhaps if I was a good blog-mother, I would have remembered its actual birthday: yesterday.
Enough of this if-I-was-a-good-blog-mother stuff, though — it’s been a year! A whole stinkin’ year. Wow. When I look back over the year, I can’t imagine making so much progress on this novel without having such an encouraging network of blog-friends. Obviously, I wouldn’t have (the world’s most amazing) blog-friends if I didn’t have a blog, so there you go. Boom. I’m glad I started this thing a year (and a day) ago, and I hope you guys are,too!
In honor of a year, I’m posting links to some old posts that most of you haven’t read. (They’re tired of being hidden with the chimney soot and have begged for the chance to put on a Cinderella dress for the day. I decided to oblige. It is, after all, their birthday.) Feel free to check them out, not check them out, or pretend you checked them out, at your leisure. Random smattering of old posts starts…now!
Aaaaand that’s all, for now. It took longer than I expected it would to sift through those old posts, but it was interesting to see how far I’ve come this year.
Things I have now, that I didn’t have a year ago, include:
- A completed second draft on its way to becoming a completed third draft
- MUCH more knowledge about agents and publishing
- The aforementioned network of amazing writer friends
- A Twitter account (@olsonkayla)
- 138 posts, including this one
- Heightened confidence, boosted by experience and encouragement
- A psycho kitty who freaks out over everything (pictured above)
- Discipline, diligence, and even more motivation than before
- A first-draft query letter and the wisdom to not send it out yet
- A few more pairs of yoga pants, a few less pounds on me
- Several short stories in the works + more ideas than I had even a month ago
- A more concrete idea of what LOST was about
Now that I’ve lingered in nostalgia for a while (thanks for indulging me, yo) it’s time to press on with these edits and my #CreateWS project. In case you’re wondering, it’s been a pretty rockin’ week for the novel edits. I’ve been on such a roll with them, I haven’t started writing my short story yet, though I plan to start today.
Party on, friends. I’d give you all tiramisu, lattes, and J.Crew gift cards, if only we weren’t separated by hundreds/thousands of miles and/or oceans. Thanks for being awesome.
[tweetmeme source= “olsonkayla” only_single=false]